Christmas Mass at Former Canadian Martyrs Parish and Chapel, ca. 1953

Show simple item record

dc.date.accessioned 2011-08-15T13:12:53Z
dc.date.available 2011-08-15T13:12:53Z
dc.date.created [ca. 1953]
dc.date.issued 1953
dc.identifier.other 11.04.0377
dc.identifier.uri http://library2.smu.ca/xmlui/handle/01/23349
dc.description b&w photograph
dc.description Good photograph with some furling
dc.description View of a Christmas Mass taking place in the former Canadian Martyrs Parish and Chapel, its west wall here (with its altar) adjoining the rear of McNally Building. The chapel was dedicated by Archbishop McNally to the Canadian Jesuit Martyrs, and held its first mass in the uncompleted building on 14 September 1952, with construction finally completed in November of that year. The parish later moved to a location on Inglis Street (the new building constructed in 1970). The upper level (this floor) of the old chapel was converted first into a reading room in 1970, then the McNally Theatre Auditorium which opened on March 1, 1982, with the stage moved to the east wall and the auditorium seating in the west wall. In 1989 the chapel's double-height basement gymnasium was renovated into two levels housing the Faculty Lounge, IT office, The Den computer lab, and classrooms while still retaining the external facade of the original 1953 church.
dc.description Written on back: '129'.
dc.description.provenance Submitted by Craig MacEachern (craig.maceachern@dal.ca) on 2011-08-15T13:12:53Z No. of bitstreams: 0 en
dc.description.provenance Made available in DSpace on 2011-08-15T13:12:53Z (GMT). No. of bitstreams: 0 en
dc.format.extent 7.5 cm x 10 cm
dc.subject.other People
dc.subject.other Clergy
dc.subject.other Churches
dc.title Christmas Mass at Former Canadian Martyrs Parish and Chapel, ca. 1953 en_CA
dc.type Image en_CA
 Find Full text

Files in this item

 
 

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record